The major problems which encounter the ankle joint are ankle sprain, ankle strain, ankle joint fracture, ankle arthritis, etc. Ankle dislocation is a problem which happens very rarely and it is one of a major orthopedic problem.
Dislocated ankle is a condition in which the soft tissues around the ankle joint got damaged or tear.
Dislocated Ankle: How It Is Caused
When the damage occurs with the soft tissues of the ankle joint like tendon or ligaments, then it leads to improper or imbalance in the range of normal ankle joint movement.
This in turn leads to sudden missing of the bone alignment in the ankle joint which results in dislocated ankle.
The ankle dislocation mostly happens with the sports individuals that too mainly with the athletic people. The athletes use their ankle joint and the foot most of the time and this is the reason this is the area which has higher risk of getting the injury.
When there is any sudden wrong twist in the ankle joint, like while running fast, then it may lead to swelling and pain initially. If not taken care properly and upon further exertion of pressure to the ankle joint, it may lead to sudden dislocation of the ankle joint because of the weak ankle joint structures.
Apart from athletes, the other sports people who use to get ankle dislocation frequently are football players, hockey players, rugby players, etc. It is best for them to avoid this problem. And wearing the ankle braces works best for this. It not only supports the ankle but also helps in avoiding any damage caused.
The following methods will be used generally to find out the ankle dislocation.
- Ankle joint X-ray
- A complete check up and examination by an eminent physiotherapist or an orthopedician
- CT scan and MRI helps in finding out the appropriate injuries that are happening to the ankle joint structures
Dislocated Ankle Symptoms
- The major symptom seen during ankle dislocation is severe intolerable pain along with heavy swelling around the joint.
- At times the pain will be radiating to the nearby parts like calf muscles and knee joint which results in gait change and loss of motion in the particular limb
- Inability to bear any weight on the affected foot areas
- Most of the people use to get tenderness and pricking sensation in the particular region immediately
- In some conditions there will be loss of blood circulation to the structures in the affected ankle joint which leads to appearance of blue color or white colored limb. Sometimes this may cause osteonecrosis also.
Dislocated Ankle Treatment and Management
The immediate measure to be carried out in case of ankle joint dislocation is reducing the movement of the joint and giving proper rest along with the cold compress to the affected ankle.
The next measure is manipulating and keeping the joint in proper position without hurting the nearby ankle joint structures like nerves, blood vessels, tendons and ligaments.
The universal treatment measure or therapy for any sort of sprain, strain, dislocation, fracture, etc. is RICE therapy. R stands for Rest, I stand for Ice, C stands for Compress and E stands for Elevation. This also works great for providing the best dislocated ankle treatment.
Thus for ankle joint dislocation giving proper rest along with elevating the ankle joint and giving ice compress will relieve the symptoms like swelling, redness, pain and stiffness immediately.
You should immediately visit your doctor if the pain and problem persist after 1-2 days.
Incoming search terms:
- treatment options for dislocated ankle